Offered through the Home and School Association, the Northlea Chess Club is open to children from grades one to eight. Children at the lower levels will learn to play chess while the kids at higher levels improve on their strategies.
This program runs for 8 weeks each term on Wednesdays during lunch hour. Chess teachers, some of whom are competitive chess players, are brought in through the Chess & Math Association.
Northlea Home & School is pleased to offer the Chess Club in the 2012 – 2013 school year. Instruction is provided by the Toronto Chess ‘N Math Association.
- The Chess Club is open to any student in grades 1 to 8.
- There are 3 sessions. Each session is 8 weeks long.
- The program runs from 11:35am to 12:40pm every Wednesday.
- Children must bring a packed lunch and eat it during the lesson.
This school year’s session dates are:
|Fall:||October 17th – December 12th (note: NO chess on October 31st)|
|Winter:||January 9th – February 27th|
|Spring:||April 3rd – May 22nd|
Registration for the fall session begins Monday, September 24th and ends Friday, September 28th
- No late registrations accepted
- We are limited in the number of spaces available and acceptance will be on a first come basis
- All students must register including those who have taken the class previously
NEW FOR 2012 – ADVANCED REGISTRATION FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR
What is advanced registration?
For those families who know their child would like to participate in more than one session this year, we are offering options to register in advance for Winter and/or Spring within this Fall’s registration.
Advanced registration means you only complete one registration form (download form pdf here) and you pay the applicable discounted fee. With advanced registration, your child is automatically assigned space in the sessions you have prepaid.
What if I pay for advanced registration but decide to cancel a future session?
Sessions can only be cancelled prior to that session’s registration date. The request to cancel must be in writing (please email: email@example.com), by the following dates:
- Winter session cancellation: due by Friday, December 7th;
- Spring session cancellation: due by Friday, February 22nd.
Refunds will reflect a per session fee of $75 and may take a few weeks to process.
Do I still have the option to register on a session-by-session basis?
Yes, as in previous years, you can choose to register for one session at a time. The fee is $75 per session. Please use the registration form here. Note the following registration dates (reminders will be posted on the website):
- Winter session registration: Monday, December 3rd – Friday, December 7th;
- Spring session registration: Monday, February18th – Friday, February 22nd.
To register, please submit the form (download pdf form here) with payment (cheques only payable to Northlea Home and School) to the school office in an envelope marked “chess registration” by Friday, September 28th.